How to Practice & Some Major Benefits
Breathing is the essence of life on earth. Its true purpose is to detoxify your body and mind. Amid all different types of breathing exercises, Kapalbhati tops the list as the most effective one. Research shows that in every exhale, 100 ml CO2 is expelled more than a natural phenomenon. This shows how useful the art of Kapalbhati pranayama is.
So, this article will help you know what Kapalbhati is, how to practice it, and what are its chief benefits. Make sure you check out everything in greater detail to know more about it. Read on.
A Brief Introduction
Kapalbhati is one of the breathing exercises for beginners that comprises of short and forceful exhales & gentle inhales. Furthermore, you sync your stomach with your breathing movements. When you practice Kapalbhati, it works on your stomach, nostrils, and chest muscles.
The rapid pumping of the stomach helps in the expulsion of air from your stomach. In Ayurveda, Kapal Bhati is considered one of the six cleansing techniques of yoga. Hence, Kapalbhati consists of a passive and forceful exhalation.
Let’s have a brief outlook on some of the basic steps to practice pranayama.
How to Practice Kapalbhati Pranayama
- The traditional practice of Kapalbhati takes nearly 5 to 20 minutes.
- You should sit in a crossed-legged position. If you are not comfortable, you can sit on a chair.
- Make sure you sit tall and roll your shoulders back, making your spine straight.
- Before closing your eyes, place your hands on your knees while keeping your palms up.
- If you want, you can make Gyan Mudra with your fingers.
- Focus on your stomach so that it moves in and out with each breath.
- Don’t forget to breathe in through your nose. This should expand your belly.
- Once you have completely inhaled, don’t forget to exhale through your mouth.
- Contract your abdominal muscles while exhaling forcefully.
- Always pull your navel towards your spine.
This phenomenon should be followed while practicing pranayama. Let’s go through some of the benefits of practicing Kapalbhati pranayama. Go through them to know how it is going to help you.
Key Benefits of Practicing Kapalbhati
- Regularly practicing Kapal Bhati pranayama messages your brain and helps in its expansion.
- Improves the overall capacity of your lungs.
- This exercise heals various skin disorders and issues.
- The excess flow of oxygen prevents hair fall.
- It also helps in losing weight by eliminating toxins from your body.
- With regular practice, your blood circulation improves over time.
- It heals indigestion and various other digestive issues.
- Practicing Kapal Bhati strengthens your central nervous system.
As you can see, the practice of Kapal Bhati pranayama is going to help you a lot in your life. From working on your mind to your body, it is an all-in-one package. Therefore, you must include this practice in your life.
Tips For Beginners to Practice Kapalbhati
- Make sure you are comfortable practicing Kapalbhati pranayama.
- Rather than forcing the movement, first, learn how to do it properly.
- If you have serious injuries, do not practice this.
- As a beginner, three rounds of Kapalbhati are sufficient.
- You can increase the number of rounds of breathing over time.
- To feel your gut better, you should place your hands on your abdomen.
- Stomach movement is key to Kapalbhati pranayama practice.
- Don’t perform jerky movements.
- You can further squeeze your facial muscles to do forceful exhalation.
- Repeat until the breathing pattern wire into your subconscious.
To reap the most out of Kapalbhati pranayama practice, you should know what you must avoid. Avoidance keeps you away from injuries. Moreover, changing your environment can also help in deepening your yoga and breathing practice. Therefore, you should head on to a beginners yoga retreat to learn Kapalbhati from yoga masters.
To get the most out of your yoga practice, you need to include other breathing exercises in your life. With consistent practice, you are going to have a fit and healthier life.